Birthday Photo Do-Over


When the littlest one turned a year old, one thing I was super excited about were getting her first birthday portraits done. What I learned from my older kids was that time really does fly and they'll never be as little again as they are today. This would be my last chance at getting these memorable first birthday photos done and I was ecstatic. 

I ordered her the sweetest little grey lace romper and accessorized it with pearls and a beautiful nagorie tiffany blue feather. Snazzy little thing. This was going to be perfect!

And they were.


The photographer was super nice, energetic and patient. He managed to catch all her little features and bent over backwards to get the slightest expression out of my strong-willed child. But something about the experience and the little ones demeanor seemed so... unnatural. So... not... her. She seemed confused by both the atmosphere and the extremely almost TOO happy stranger with the unusual interest in getting her to smile. I understood. Excessively happy people scare the shit outta me too.


We picked out a few of our favorite poses, thanked the overwhelmingly, energetic photographer and went on our way. And while dad wiped the sweat off his forehead after spending a small fortune on these photos... I decided I wanted a re-shoot. 

It wasn't until a few months after her 2nd birthday that I found the perfect Tiffany blue petti skirt that I just HAD to have for this imaginary up and coming photo shoot. I say imaginary because while I had the whole thing planned in my head... I didn't have the equipment to do my vision any justice. 

Like that guy from that movie said... "Build it... and they will come." Or SOMETHING like that... I prepared for it... and it came. My birthday that is. (Well... a couple days before my birthday.) And after months and months of dropping subtle hints (orrrr not so subtle hints)...[I just want a good camera... *sigh* I wish I had the right camera... Sure, you can get the 60 inch TV... long as I get my camera first!]

 I got my camera. Let's do this birthday do-over thingy...

I spent my birthday kneeling in moist dirt... Sweat dripping in my eyes... Bugs caught in my hair... Walking through a stream in my long jeans and squatting as low as I could behind trees in very uncomfortable positions for long stretches of time in order to get thee shot. I caught what looked like a look of confusion/disgust from the babe for the very first time in our relationship, I was THAT determined. 

After coming home and uploading the photos... The results were SO worth the boob sweat and running mascara.









Comments

Popular Posts