Employment: SAHM

So on this mornings couple court a woman called in claiming that her husband backed out of his agreement that when they were to have children, she can stay home for at least the first 3 years to raise their baby. Now that she's pregnant, he demands that she continue to work. The amount of ppl that called in on her defense was surprising.

"A child's psyche is formed in the child's first 5 years... Why would you leave that to someone else?!" one woman said.

A stay at home dad called in claiming "Work, luxuries and money will always be there when your kids grow up... Your kids are only little once."

Another woman proclaimed, "If you're gonna throw your child in daycare, why have kids at all?!"

I can't say that I agree entirely on the above comments. But it's always good to know you're not the only one who feels as strongly on the matter when faced with people who think so highly of themselves as to criticize your choices. I've been on both sides of this debate. I know what it is to be a single mother doing it on your own. I also know what it is to be home and doing for everyone else before you do for yourself. I respect everybody has different needs and circumstances. I feel for the moms who don't have a choice. Whether it be having to put a fulfilling career on hold because doing one would mean sacrificing too much from the other, or having to rely on childcare in order to keep food on the table at night. I totally respect the emotional needs of the woman that says she'd lose her damn mind if she didn't have her job. I lost mine 12 years ago.

SO, why is it that when you tell someone that you're currently staying home with your child... They take it upon themselves to ask the most intrusive and sometimes insulting questions? "So, are you working yet?" Usually followed by a, "Why not?" Which if I weren't a Christian woman that question would be immediately followed with a slap to the face!

For the ones who think they have it all figured out to where they can judge and offer unwanted input into another mothers employment status... How's this as an answer to your unwelcome questions and assumptions:

#1. I'm raising my baby fool. I don't question the decisions you make for YOUR child even if they ARE questionable.

#2. You can keep that application for the position below you. When the time comes, I'll be taking YOUR job.

And #3. Take care of yours before you worry about mine. THANKS!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts